Friday, August 08, 2008

A night's tale

Trips to foreign land are made all the more memorable with some foible. I won’t disappoint you. I’ll end this brief report with one story of mine.

With piling paper works, I thought I’d need a computer I can use exclusively anytime as my schedule warrants. I was given one at the Graduate Students Office but it’s a struggle to go there during cold weather and football game days. Besides, the monitor quality and lighting in the room were straining my eyes quite badly.

One time on a scouting trip, I realized I missed the last bus and I was at a computer shopping store 75 km away from my dorm. Buses are few (about 1 hr interval) and their availability varies depending on route and day of the week. There was no taxi and I don’t have a phone or a phone card. It was already 8pm and the stores were closing. I had no choice so I braced for the worst. I separated my money, ID, debit card in different pockets. I had to walk home. If I walk at 5 km/hr, it would take me at least 15 hrs but this wasn’t the big problem. The first trip the next day was 4am so the longest walk until the next bus was about 8hrs. Definitely, I can’t run or jog back to the dorm even if I can. It was already dark and I might be suspected as a fleeing criminal. I was also worried getting mugged or robbed. I was wondering how a crime report about me will be written on tabloids. Probably, something like:

Thieves sue Fulbright scholar
for empty wallet, fake dollar

Then, the story would print my picture, pockets inside out, bruises and all. The caption reads: Buckeye with a blackeye.

Also, I don’t know by heart the route back. I had to rely on the map and trust that my interpretation is correct.

After 35 minutes into the journey, I saw a group of young adults across the street. Someone yelled: “How ‘ya doin’?” And so, I approached them while recalling all my self-defense lessons (I mean, the Jet Lee moves in his shaolin movies). He introduced himself as Andy, probably the oldest in the group. He said he can take me along in their car if I pay the $30 full tank fuel to the collective groans of his companions. For fear of me being a predator in the end or for rebuking Andy’s “extortion”, that I would never know. He backed off and instead called a taxi for me. While waiting for the cab, he asked if I want sex for $5, pointing to one of his lady friends. Of course, to make my loved ones and PAEF proud, I stuck with the predilection of a good Filipino and Fulbright grantee (ehem!). He dropped the sex but later, he again asked $5 from me. I didn’t budge. His companions reprimanded him.

All the while I was thinking if he really called a taxi. He showed signs of mischief but was kind enough to offer help to a stranger. The taxi did arrive and I was spared walking for 8 hrs through the night.

What can I say? Kindness comes in many forms.

...

Jones Tower, OSU, Oct 30, 2006

No comments: