Sunday, July 27, 2008

French Kiss

This is my latest experiment, which I call French Kiss.

“It's sweet?!” said a German friend who looked surprised.

And it is not supposed to taste sweet?

It's already cooked when I found out more about it. There are actually several versions of it from the internet but I just picked the first one with a picture. The recipe is called Spinach-Mushroom Quiche. The proper pronunciation is with a long e, ending with sh. It is \'kēsh\, not ki-che [2]. However, I insist to call my own quiche a 'kiss' because I learned that quiche is a French cuisine [1] with German roots. Kuchen is German for cake and it soon became quiche [3]. I am neither French nor German so I can be excused when I say, “Would you like to try my French Kiss?”

Quiche is a baked dish which closely resembles a tart. The ingredients, mainly spinach, mushroom, cheese and milk, are mixed and poured into the crust for baking. Ham is also a popular ingredient. In the original version, cheese is not included [3].

The crust is either neutral or a bit salty, but not sweet. Well, there was only one kind of crust at Giant Eagle and I presumed (incorrectly, I found out later) that all ready-made crusts are general purpose. When I rechecked the pack, it says “crust for chocolate mousse.” No wonder.

Dough and crusts will be included in my next experiments. For now, here's my sweet French Kiss.

...

References

[1] Food Reference. 2008. Quiche. http://www.foodreference.com/html/fquiche.html. Last accessed: July 23, 2008.

[2] Merriam-Webster. 2008. Quiche. http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/quiche. Last accessed: July 23, 2008.

[3] Wikipedia. 2008. Quiche. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quiche. Last accessed: July 23, 2008.


No comments: